Mountain Home, Cotter, Gassville, Lakeview, Norfork
Originally known as "Rapp's Barren, Mountain Home, the largest town and county seat of Baxter County, was called "Mountain Home," by the slaves who were seasonally relocated here from southern locations. The Mountain Home area is rich in folk history and features excellent antique shopping and cultural tour opportunities.
Arkansas State University in Mountain Home - Previously housed in downtown Mountain Home in a former church, funeral home, feed store and dry cleaners, the University relocated to a new campus in January 2000.
Cotter, Trout Capital of the U.S.A. - The town of Cotter on the White River has been designated by the Arkansas legislature as Trout Capital of the U.S.A. If visitors take Hwy. 62 B through the town they can see how it was laid out -- with the train yards on the river bottom, the residential district extending up the bluffs and the business district on the middle shelf, in between.
Henderson Bridge - Henderson, where the big Highway 62/412 Lake Norfork bridge is located, has long been a crossing point. An older bridge, built in 1935 over the North Fork River, remains at the bottom of the lake under the waters of Lake Norfork and divers can view the bridge's arches underwater. The Arkansas Highway Department ferry carried all traffic across the lake for nearly 40 years until the federal government built the new highway bridges.
Historic Homes in Mountain Home - College Street, Mountain Home's historic district, features a home on the National Register of Historic Places and eleven (11) other homes on the Baxter County Historical Register. "The Casey House," owned by a Confederate colonel and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is Mountain Home's oldest home.
Historical Norfork and the Wolf House - Norfork is the county's oldest continuing settlement. South of Mountain Home on Hwy. 5, Norfork, under other names, was a river port where goods from as far as New Orleans were shipped and traded for pelts, hides, bearskins, and other foods and animal products during the 1800s. Standing as a testament to those times is the Wolf House, built in 1809 at Norfork, which is open for tours.
Mountain Home Baptist College - Historic Ozark college built in 1893. The building is built of hand cut Ozark stone and is located at College and 4th street.
Mountain Home - Dunbar Auditorium and Twin Lakes Playhouse - Live stage productions featuring local talent are offered in both the Dunbar Auditorium and the Twin Lakes Community Playhouse in Mountain Home.
Norfork Dam - This imposing structure, completed in 1945, created 22,000 acre Lake Norfork.
Norfork National Trout Hatchery - See millions of rainbow, brown and cutthroat trout in various stages of growth. Located just below Norfork Dam. Free admission. Dry Run Creek next door is a beautiful small stream for handicapped persons and youngsters to fish for trout.
Rapp's Barren Pioneer Village in Mountain Home - Located in Cooper Park, Rapp's Barren Pioneer Village, is a recreation of an early Ozark settlement, containing the Talbert-Leonard log cabin (c. 1860's); a shotgun style house (c. early 1900's;) and, coming soon, a one-room school (1927) from the Shady Grove community.
Rollins Hospital Museum - Established in 1926, the first hospital in Baxter County is now a museum featuring medical equipment, operating tables, cribs and artifacts from the early hospital. Other exhibits in the museum include artifacts for early native Americans who lived in Baxter Bounty, a collection of military uniforms and memorabilia and the Margie Garr-Stella Jackson Genealogy Library, where a large amount of information is available for public use. Free admission. Open Tuesday thru Saturday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. phone: 870-425-4502 for special appointments.
The Wolf House in Norfork - Considered to be the oldest example of a dogtrot home in the state, this historic structure was built in the early 1800's. The log home is filled with antiques and is open for tours. Located on Scenic Hwy 5 at Norfork. History is highlighted during Pioneer Days in May each year on the Wolf House grounds.